Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Spam Musubi





I know what you're thinking:

Isn't this a baking blog?!!

Well...yes.

But in honor of National Canned Luncheon Meat Day (which took place July 6th), I decided to try my hand at making spam musubi, because

I LOVE SPAM MUSUBI.

There's something about it: the savory flavors of canned meat and nori and the slight sweetness from the rice (once you add the sugar and rice vinegar and all) coming together to produce an orgasmic slice of heaven. I pay tribute to the Creator of spam and the Creator of spam musubi. Thank you.

(adapted from The Starving Artist)

1 can Spam, sliced lengthwise
2 cups white rice, cooked and cooled
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
2-3 sheets nori

1. Stir the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt together. Add into the cooled rice and mix well.
2. Pan fry the sliced Spam in a skillet, cooking each side for about 5 minutes or until the Spam is slightly browned.
3. Use a rice mold to shape the spam musubi. (I didn't have one, so I made a crude version: take the emptied Spam can and cut out the bottom. I used a can opener to accomplish this. But it's still really difficult. I think I'll invest in a rice mold.)
4. Wet your hands and place some rice into the rice mold. Flatten it out into a 1/2 inch layer. Place a slice of Spam over it, and add another layer of rice on top. Carefully remove the rice mold. You will have a perfect rectangle-shaped piece of spam musubi.
5. Cut the nori sheet in half (or in thirds, depending on the length of your spam musubi. Place the spam musubi in the center of the nori and wrap around it. Use some water to seal it together.

Whether you eat it for snack or as part of a meal, spam musubi will satisfy your craving for all things umami-flavored.

Happy Eating!

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of using water to seal the seaweed together, but I think you'd get soggy seaweed that'll stick to containers. What you should do instead is place the seaweed in the rice mold itself. Put the rice, spam, and more rice on top, then fold the remaining seaweed over. Press down onto it with the side with the extra seaweed on top, and the seaweed should stick to the rice. Place the finished spam musubi with the extra seaweed side on the bottom. Bam! Done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good advice! Yes, I will invest in a rice mold. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete